SOCIALIZE, ETC. TWITTER / FB / LINKEDIN / PORTFOLIO / GAWKER MEDIA

4.18.2010

in 'x' number of years...

On a lovely Sunday afternoon shopping rendezvous, I mentioned to my friend Josie that if I ever started my own business I would call it 'Ampersand.' I love the idea of having a brand that stand for infinite possibilities. She shared with me her desire to open her own shop one day. And the following series of connections unraveled...

The ever-informative Wikipedia filled me in on my favorite word and symbol:
An ampersand (&) is a logogram representing the conjunction 'and.' The symbol is a ligature of the letters in et, Latin for 'and.'

And that's just the beginning of it. I'm a history junkie, so the origination of this twisty wonder in the first century A.D. is an intriguing quality.

As such a recognizable symbol, there are endless possibilities for design innovation. Designers often get bored with their own identity (visual identity - not themselves) so the convenience to morph a standard form any way you want is great. My mom is celebrating her graphic design company's (Ruzow Graphics) 25th year in business and it's been so entertaining to see her refresh her logo based on a season or holiday – whatever moves her. Note to mom: you should archive these on your website like Google does with their logos. Bottom line: the ease of refreshing a business's logo while maintaining it's core identity is incredible. Hence, the attractiveness of Ampersand as a company name.

The idea of creating your own brand to establish and grow is incredibly exciting. Having seen the growth of Ruzow Graphics, I've seen the perks of creating on your own terms. Anything that pops into my head could be considered 'on-brand' because it would be my brand! Ah, to dream...

Josie and I discussed this as we browsed Crate & Barrel for the umpteenth time, admiring the endless colors and cool way everything is set up in the store (which Josie informed me is called merchandising design). This led to the idea of how perfect a name Ampersand is for a home decor store. Think about the mental to-do lists of things you want to do in/to your home. 'I want to re-do the bathroom and decorate my bedroom and  revamp the kitchen table.' See the trend? And, and, ampersand

So in 'x' number of years, Josie hopes to open her own store. I hope to have a business called Ampersand. Maybe we'll merge these ambitions with a store named Ampersand! Something to ponder about the future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment