SOCIALIZE, ETC. TWITTER / FB / LINKEDIN / PORTFOLIO / GAWKER MEDIA

5.29.2009

an analogy to start things off.

Welcome.

People initially reading this blog are most likely my friends and family who I bombarded with the link and interrogated about the content, so the following information might not be necessary... but you'll read it anyway.

I graduated in May from the Newhouse School at Syracuse University (completely irrelevant to my analogy) where I was heavily involved with Greek life. Sorority girls are often mocked and essentially looked at as an enormous joke of a bimbo crowd. If you ever say anything like this to me about sororities, a full on debate will ensue so I suggest you lay off that topic. Anyway, being a sorority girl was actually very beneficial to me in college. As a member of Alpha Xi Delta, I served two terms on the Panhellenic Council which, to quote myself, "governs the feisty group of gossiping sorority girls that resembles a microcosm of famous personalities covered by Gawker."

In my second term on Panhel I helped organize recruitment (aka "rush" to anyone who watches Greek on ABC Family) where I repeated the same shtick (below) to the majority of the 750 anxious freshmen girls who went through the process:
Each sorority knows themselves better than you know them. If they think you will or won't belong in their house, they probably know best. You have to trust the system that you'll end up in the right sorority if you're realistic and act like yourself. Don't base your decision on campus stereotypes.

Now I apply that to the job hunting process. Some friends laugh, some friends roll their eyes because they think I really need to get over sorority stuff already. Here it is for you:
Each company knows their culture and dynamic better than you, regardless of how much research you've done on them. If they think you'll mesh well with the current employees and that you have the necessary capabilities to fulfill the required responsibilities, they're probably right. Instill a certain amount of trust in their confidence of your abilities. If you're honest with every company and show your personality in interviews, the job hunting system should work out eventually. Don't base your decision on only the brand image of the company. If it's tiny and you didn't know about it before, that's ok! It may be a better fit for you then a Fortune 500 company.

Alright, I'm done ranting for now. I really just came up with that analogy to make myself feel better about the whole graduating without a job thing. Hopefully it will make you feel better too... or else you'll just laugh and roll your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment